Skip to main content

Mini Marathon Training Series 10k

The one thing that I am really missing in doing these pre-race training runs is my buddies in my book club.  We meet on the first Saturday of every month which is also the days for the Mini Marathon Training Series Runs.  The irony is that the book they read for today was "The Art of Racing in the Rain"  while I did not read it and it has nothing to do with running, the title was a perfect fit for what I was doing today.

It rained...a lot.  I ran at least a few miles in my $1.99 poncho from Dick's (thank you to my friend Liz at Eternal Lizdom) and was so glad that my husband suggested a change of clothes for after the race.  It wasn't freezing, but I definitely got a chill post-run with the wet clothes and all.

As a treadmill trainer, I never know what to expect on the outdoor runs.  I am pleased to say that I enjoyed this run.  I had a great mix on the iPod and the route was pretty varied.  We went over the bridge to the White River a few times which broke up the route.  The race volunteers were so supportive.  I can't say that I loved running in the rain, but I can say (after a nice hot shower and change of clothes) that I enjoyed this run.

So excited about my time too.  A few weeks ago, I ran 6 miles on a Saturday on the treadmill and took about 85min (1hr25min) and today I rocked a 1hr18min (78min) 10k.  So that is faster than my 6 miles and .2 miles more than my previous run.  Yes, I am geeking out on the math, but I am geeked about my time. 

So fun running with some buddies again.  We start off together and then I am kind of a loner during the race.  Then we meet up at the end.  It works for all of us and it is very motiviating when something like rain could make for an easy excuse to give in and not do the run. 

So, good day, good run....15k in a month (eek!).  I am going to be purchasing a foam roller for my IT Band issues (C.Beth - I am also going back to re-read your IT Band posts/comments).  I stretched it a couple of times during the run, but I need to be doing some therapy to loosen it during the week if I want the pain to subside and be manageable as the miles increase.

Sorry for the novel, but I am stoked about this run! 

Happy Running Everyone!

Comments

C. Beth said…
You did AWESOME!!

IT band stuff...sigh. I can tell you that I'm at the point where mine's manageable. Even when it gets tight, my roller/massage ball help me to loosen it up. (Sometimes mine tightens up due to tight glutes and/or hamstrings, and the little ball works better on those than the roller.) Stretching seems to help in the short term & I stop and stretch during runs as necessary, but it's the rolling that helps me really get past it...every time it flares back up!
Eternal Lizdom said…
You did great and I love that we have our little running group!!

I went for a sports massage yesterday and felt soo much better. It isn't a permanent fix but it is a great way to loosen up muscles and joints.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 .. Done!

I can't believe that Wednesday marks the beginning of week 2 already.  I feel like I was just telling Liz that I had this idea for a running challenge and shabang...here we are starting week 2!  And people are doing it with me! I logged 10.5 miles in Week 1 (starting off a little ahead never hurts :)).  Overall I felt good about getting the miles in, but I am having a pain in my knee when I run longer than 3 minutes at a time so I am doing mostly intervals.  I think it is my IT Band...I know this is pretty common, but it stinks to have pain.  Anyone have any good suggestions for IT Band therapy.  I have heard of using a foam roller, but have no idea how to use one or even what to buy...suggestions?? Liz has also given me a great idea to do a badge or something to mark progress on this quest.  I am thinking of something, but haven't had much time to devote to it.  I like the idea...what about anyone else doing this journey with...

It is here - The I Will Blog 500 Miles Virtual 5k

Here are the rules...they are so simple: 1.  Run/Walk 3.1 Miles between Friday December 3rd and Monday December 6th 2.  Post a comment to this post with your time and when you ran.  Also include any thoughts on your experience and if there is any interest in doing another in a couple of months (February or March). Have fun and good luck.  I look forward to seeing everyone's results! Ashli

Charity Knitting - Knit-A-Square

Several years back I bought a Knifty Knitter Loom Set and some yarn to make a hat.  I can't remember exactly if I bought the loom to do charity work or I just wanted some sort of craft to do and the needles looked like a little more work than I wanted to do at the time.  I do knit with needles now and I have to say that it is much easier than it looks once you get the hang of it.  I even knit one of those blue and white scarves for the Super Bowl this year with needles.  Anyway, back to the topic...As I started enjoying knitting these hats, I became addicted to buying sale yarn...any yarn on clearance at Walmart magically made it into my bag...no project in mind...no idea if I even had enough yarn of one color or type to do anything with...I just loved buying the stuff.  I started buying books of patterns for loom knitting and knitting with sticks.  I made some crafts as gifts..made a whole bunch of hats :), a few dishcloths...