Skip to main content

Lent

I have never really "given up" anything for Lent before.  Last year, I tried to do this 40 Bags in 40 Days thing and I did really well for about a week and then...well, off the path I went :)

Earlier this year I saw a post on Facebook from a friend who was going to do a 40 Days of Water project during the Lenten season.  Essentially participants would drink nothing but water each day of lent except Sundays when they could have whatever they wanted to drink.  I seriously thought about participating in this...a lot...I told people I was thinking about doing it...I contemplated how my body would react based on the fact that I really drink so little water each day and not having caffeine has potential side-affects on my family and friends :).  I really thought about it...my son even reminded me this past weekend about it asking when I was only going to be allowed to drink water. 

I thought about it, but decided, no. I am not going to participate and here is why.  Giving something up/changing a habit for Lent has always been known to me as something that helps remind us of the sacrifice of  Jesus' Death and Resurrection on the cross.  The goal of this initiative was different.  It was to remind us of others who don't have clean drinking water.  Now, don't get me wrong, an initiative to bring awareness of the grave need for clean drinking water all around the world is a greatly worthy cause in my opinion.  I just don't want to confuse it with Lent. 

Being that today is Ash Wednesday and I haven't decided on anything to give up/change for Lent, I will probably just do what I have done for the past several years and enjoy the Lenten season and the reminders of what Jesus did for me on the cross.  I will attend the services associated with the season and reflect and re-commit myself to living a life that pleases Him.  I will work to "do everything I do to the glory of God" and "do unto others as I would have them do unto me"...

The walk of Faith is different for everyone...this is how God and I walk together.  Your experience may be different and I respect that. 

<><

Comments

C. Beth said…
I think your plan for Lent sounds like a great one. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 .. Done!

I can't believe that Wednesday marks the beginning of week 2 already.  I feel like I was just telling Liz that I had this idea for a running challenge and shabang...here we are starting week 2!  And people are doing it with me! I logged 10.5 miles in Week 1 (starting off a little ahead never hurts :)).  Overall I felt good about getting the miles in, but I am having a pain in my knee when I run longer than 3 minutes at a time so I am doing mostly intervals.  I think it is my IT Band...I know this is pretty common, but it stinks to have pain.  Anyone have any good suggestions for IT Band therapy.  I have heard of using a foam roller, but have no idea how to use one or even what to buy...suggestions?? Liz has also given me a great idea to do a badge or something to mark progress on this quest.  I am thinking of something, but haven't had much time to devote to it.  I like the idea...what about anyone else doing this journey with...

It is here - The I Will Blog 500 Miles Virtual 5k

Here are the rules...they are so simple: 1.  Run/Walk 3.1 Miles between Friday December 3rd and Monday December 6th 2.  Post a comment to this post with your time and when you ran.  Also include any thoughts on your experience and if there is any interest in doing another in a couple of months (February or March). Have fun and good luck.  I look forward to seeing everyone's results! Ashli

Charity Knitting - Knit-A-Square

Several years back I bought a Knifty Knitter Loom Set and some yarn to make a hat.  I can't remember exactly if I bought the loom to do charity work or I just wanted some sort of craft to do and the needles looked like a little more work than I wanted to do at the time.  I do knit with needles now and I have to say that it is much easier than it looks once you get the hang of it.  I even knit one of those blue and white scarves for the Super Bowl this year with needles.  Anyway, back to the topic...As I started enjoying knitting these hats, I became addicted to buying sale yarn...any yarn on clearance at Walmart magically made it into my bag...no project in mind...no idea if I even had enough yarn of one color or type to do anything with...I just loved buying the stuff.  I started buying books of patterns for loom knitting and knitting with sticks.  I made some crafts as gifts..made a whole bunch of hats :), a few dishcloths...