Skip to main content

Purpose and Vison

What do you think of when you think of your purpose?


Do you think of it in terms of what you want to do or what makes you happy?  Or, do you think of it in terms of God's purpose for your life.  His vision uniquely created just for you?


Jeremiah 29:11New International Version (NIV)*

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Time and time again, I go on a "search" cycle for my vision...what am I to do next...what is wrong about what I am doing that I want to change into something that is "righter" (yes, not a word, but funny just the same). 


This morning I realized that I am looking at this the wrong way.  My vision doesn't matter at all.  It is God's vision that is most important.  Instead of looking for books and articles that will help me explore my future, I am going to let God tell me what he has planned for me. 


Will this be easy?
Will he be loud and tell me exactly what to do?


No and no...


1 Kings 19:11-13New International Version (NIV)*

11 The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”


It will be His gentle whisper that will guide me.  We must work to hear the gentle whisper. 


Yesterday I was dialed in for a call and the sound quality was very poor.  Admittedly, I usually listen in on this call while multi-tasking with other things.  Yesterday I could not.  Yesterday I had to focus my ears specifically on the call so that I could hear every word.  If I turned my head, I missed all that was being said.  The information was important.  If I had been focused on other things, I would have missed some important information and been unable to share in the joy of a co-worker as she told her story of recent success. 


We must work to hear the gentle whisper.


The gentle whisper will tell me God's vision.  My vision doesn't matter.  Only the plans He has for me matter. 


This is not easy, but it is essential to honor my Master and Lord Adonai.


Lord, I pray to hear you through the wind and earthquakes and fires of this world.  I ask that you show me the next step.  The one that I can take to continue on Your path.  I trust You even though I don't understand.  Your Peace will guide me.  It passes all understanding.  Lord I thank You for the ability to focus on Your still small voice and wait expectantly for all of the wonderful things You will do next in my life.  Amen.


(*bible quotes sourced from www.biblegateway.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 .. Done!

I can't believe that Wednesday marks the beginning of week 2 already.  I feel like I was just telling Liz that I had this idea for a running challenge and shabang...here we are starting week 2!  And people are doing it with me! I logged 10.5 miles in Week 1 (starting off a little ahead never hurts :)).  Overall I felt good about getting the miles in, but I am having a pain in my knee when I run longer than 3 minutes at a time so I am doing mostly intervals.  I think it is my IT Band...I know this is pretty common, but it stinks to have pain.  Anyone have any good suggestions for IT Band therapy.  I have heard of using a foam roller, but have no idea how to use one or even what to buy...suggestions?? Liz has also given me a great idea to do a badge or something to mark progress on this quest.  I am thinking of something, but haven't had much time to devote to it.  I like the idea...what about anyone else doing this journey with me?  Would you think a badge was cool? Hope

I am going to do what?!?

In the past 5 years I can be quoted as saying: "I am NOT a runner" "I HATE to sweat" "I will NEVER run" "I was a swimmer, I never ran growing up, I am sure that is why my joints just won't work for running." Let me warn you now, when you hear yourself things like this, just pretend it its "opposite day" because the likelihood of those proclamations holding true is pretty much non-existent. This past year, I have found myself running 2 5k events, run/walking a half marathon, finding a running training plan to work on speed of all things.  I really can't believe how much I actually look forward to working out...and how much my day changes when I don't. On days I work out, I am happier, have more energy, feel better rested, am a better parent and wife and have a desire to live out God's will for my life. When I don't work out...well, let's just say it is not pretty.  Nothing is on time, I am short fused

Daily Mile

My friend Liz  has set up a cool challenge for all of us to track our miles at Daily Mile.  If you want to join the challenge, let me know once  you have an account with Daily Mile (its free!).  Mile counting doesn't start until the day you accept the challenge.  Remember the original challenge time was from September 15, 2010 to September 15, 2011.  If you are keeping pace at 10 miles per week, that will give you 520 miles total so if you start the challenge this week, you should still be able to stay on track and get 500 miles in before the end date! I have 3 miles to do tomorrow.  I am looking forward to it.  I really need to find the time to get some new shoes so that I can actually run more.  I keep trying, but my knee is killing me.  I just haven't had time this week to do anything about it, but walking is better than nothing right? I added the Daily Mile widget at the left so you can see my progress as I post my workouts there.  I still plan to make a post on this bl